|Title||Using the DUV 2/0.005-10 Water Level Sensor to automate the process of water accounting, level monitoring and management in Southern Kazakhstan|
|Category of tools||Monitoring system|
|Field of application||
Use of water resources
|Usability of practice for adaptation to climate change||High|
|Implemented by||Kazakh Scientific Research Institute of Water Economy (KazSRIWE) LLP
Province: South Kazakhstan Region
District: Maktaaral District
|Practice also applied in the following localities||
The hydro-posts are located in foothill and/or flat areas with the water stream speeds in canals fluctuating between 0.1 and 1.5 m/s
|Practice usage period||
Start date: 01.01.2015
End date: 31.12.2017
|Problem solved through this practice||
|Tools used in the practice||
DUV 2/0.005-10 Water Level Sensor
|Description of the practice and its results||
The DUV 2/0,005-10 Sensor was deployed and demonstrated its efficiency in Jambyl and Southern Kazakhstan Regions. It allowed to visually and in real-time observe the dynamics of water level fluctuations and completely exclude manual operations and subjectivity in the process of taking readings – a relevant task in the environment of transition to market economy.
Water level sensors were installed in 17 hydro-posts in Southern Kazakhstan Region (Maktaaral District). In Jambyl Region, the same sensors were installed in 3 hydro-posts in Merke District.
a) immediate data exchange on water volume passing through every water lead to the fields of agricultural producers (farms) as well as automatic transfer of this information to stakeholder organizations (branch of “Kazvodkhoz” Republican State Enterprise (RSE), etc.);
b) archiving the data coming from hydro-posts with its subsequent processing in the form of reports.
Technical and economic:
1) “all in one” – all components of DUV 2/0.005-10 are assembled into one unit/casing, do not require any additional modules and adjustments, i.e. it is an out-of-the-box universal tool to execute monitoring of water reserves irrespective of the availability of power supply and other technical and weather conditions. The simple Sensor’s design facilitates installation and start-up and commissioning, as well as allows minimizing labor costs;
2) DUV 2/0.005-10 is flexible in terms of installation, data transfer methods, measurement subject (water level or hydro-lock position, etc.);
3) the cost of the measuring unit is 3-4 times less compared to currently available alternatives;
4) DUV 2/0.005-10 designed architecture allows increasing the number of controlled points and performing an integrated monitoring of the whole network.
|Lessons learnt and recommendations made||
Deployment of the DUV 2/0.005-10 Water Level Sensor led to increased precision of water level and consumption measurements and higher promptness of information collection compared to any known methods.
Using the device in the conditions of water resources deficiency, on the one hand, will ensure objective accounting of water use and, on the other hand, will promote water conservation among water users which will lead to more efficient technological development of agro-industrial complex and higher labor productivity.
The success of deploying water level sensors in project hydro-posts facilitated execution of measures to disseminate the positive experience of using the device in the water sector. Their effect will be even more significant as enhanced quantity and quality indicators will ensure effective management of water resources and water conservation with simultaneous development of irrigated agriculture.
|Source of practice||
Domestic tools (outcomes of research by domestic R&D organizations)
|Brief information on the project||
1. Project title: Implementation, scientific and methodical support and dissemination of automatic water-monitoring and water-accounting instruments in water measuring facilities of the pilot site in Jambyl Region.
Project goal: implement the innovation in the agro-industrial complex of Jambyl Region by way of installing water level sensors (DUV 0.005-10 Model, designed by KazSRIWE LLP) in hydro-posts along the Merkenka River and its diversion canals: Chon, Tesken, MPT of Merke District of Jambyl Region.
2. Project title: Implementation, scientific and methodical support and dissemination of automatic water-monitoring and water-accounting instruments in water measuring facilities of the pilot site in Southern Kazakhstan Region.
Project goal: implement the innovation in the agro-industrial complex of Southern Kazakhstan Region by way of installing water level sensors (DUV 0.005-10 Model, designed by KazSRIWE LLP) in hydro-posts along the diversion canals of Dostyk Main Canal in Maktaaral District of Southern Kazakhstan Region.
|Funding source||Program 019 “Identification of Innovative Projects in the Agro-Industrial Complex for 2017”|
|Form submission date||18.05.2018|
|Print Compare with other practice|